Lost Tramways of Wales Poster – Commercial Street, Newport
Archival photograph taken from Lost Tramways of Wales: South Wales and Valleys.
Caption reads: Two of Newport’s first generation of open-top tram cars meet at the junction of Commercial Street and Stow Hill in a view recorded on a postcard posted in late October 1911. No 18 had headed north from the terminus of the docks route at Pill whilst the second has come from the Risca direction. The majority of the buildings in this view, including the Westgate Hotel with its entrance canopy and the two banks on either side of Bridge Street, remain extant, although much of the area is now pedestrianised.’